The captain of Jamaica’s Under-20 team that disappointed many with their impotent performance in the first quarter of this year when they failed to qualify for the World Cup has restored his reputation with a big performance in the Red Stripe Premier League.In fact, Junior Flemmings did more than that. The 19-year-old, who was largely responsible for Tivoli Gardens’ 3-2 win over fierce rivals Arnett Gardens, became a man as he almost carried his team on his back as they registered their third successive victory and climbed two places to sit third in the table on 11 points.The former Jamaica College player not only had a foot in all three of his team’s goals, he outdid three defenders and the goalkeeper to score the final goal and secure victory himself. All throughout the game, Flemmings and his more seasoned compatriot Jermaine Johnson were unplayable whenever they went forward.Tivoli’s opening goal came when Ranike Anderson climbed high to head home a Flemmings free kick in the 33rd minute. Andrew Phang levelled in the 45th and Kemal Malcolm fired the home team ahead in the 67th. Substitute Otis Ffriend was on hand to steer home one of three Flemmings free kicks to rebound into play before Flemmings finished the job on the final move of the match.”It is an overwhelming feeling. Coming to Arnett Gardens to play is not an easy thing and to actually get the three points after being 1-2 down is really special.”We really stuck together, dug deep and came out with the victory,” the very assured Flemmings said after the game.Sounding like one much older than his years, Flemmings indicated that his intention coming into the game was to earn the man of the match honour and give his team the victory. His task, he said, was made easier by the slowness of the Arnett Gardens defenders.”Their defenders are really slow and we really exploited that today,” he said matter-of-factly.unpleasant memoriesIn addition to a desire to erase the unpleasant memories of the World Cup qualifier, Flemmings is driven by a desire to make his mark among big men.”Being a schoolboy coming out of the Manning Cup and coming into the Premier League is not an easy thing. They always say that there has never been a schoolboy that actually left Manning Cup and actually came in the Premier League and be outstanding. I just want to create my own trademark and make my own legacy,” the ambitious player said.He may not be the most accurate when it comes to the facts of players shining in the League during or right after their schoolboy years, but his approach to getting the top is the right one.”What you are seeing now is just because of hard work. It is just hard work and more hard work that has contributed to this. I just kept on working. The work never stops.”The free kicks are something that I have been practising day in day out. Before training actually starts, I would get the mannequins and practise, practise because I know that one day, it will come in handy,” said Flemmings, who has set himself a target of eight goals in the League before taking up a professional opportunity in January.
5 October 2014President Jacob Zuma is, this month, October 2014, prioritising the economy and local government.In his State of the Nation address delivered in June 2014, Zuma said the economy would take centre stage this term and announced a target of 5% growth by 2019. He also announced that local government, the sphere of government closest to citizens, and the “engine of service delivery’ would be revitalised and strongly supported.Kicking the initiatives off, on Friday 3 October, Zuma launched Phase 3 of the Expanded Public Works Programme in Keiskammahoek in the Eastern Cape. The programme is expected to create six million work opportunities between now and 2019.On Tuesday, 7 October, the president will hand over the operator permit for the Dube Trade Port Industrial Development Zone (IDZ) to Senzo Mchunu, premier of KwaZulu-Natal. Last year the president launched the Saldanha IDZ in the Western Cape. The IDZs will promote industrialisation and raise awareness around the Special Economic Zones programme, which aims to grow the economy and create jobs through creating a conducive environment for foreign direct investment. The Saldanha IDZ, still in development, has already attracted the interest of 19 potential investors.On 8 October, the President will relook the Back to Basics campaign targeting local government performance. He has convened a meeting of the President’s Coordinating Committee, the statutory body that brings together national government, premiers and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) association, to discuss strengthening local government to improve service delivery and promote economic growth and development at a local level.On 9 October Zuma will host a meeting of the Mining Sector National Consultative Forum in Pretoria. He had announced in his State of the Nation address that he would lead the government-labour-mining sector interface, and would prioritise revitalising and rebuilding distressed mining towns and communities.In August this year Zuma launched Operation Phakisa, aimed at “unlocking the potential of the country’s ocean economy’. Teams from government, business, labour and academia have been exploring the potential of the country’s oceans to boost economic growth and job creation. Zuma will release their findings on 15 October at the Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre in Durban.In his State of the Nation address, Zuma had announced that he would convene the Presidential Business Working Group to discuss joint action for economic growth. The working group will meet on 24 October in Pretoria, where teams from business and government will report back on their findings.Zuma will later this month also meet with the South African Chambers of Commerce and Industry and the South Africa-Turkish Business Association. Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa also recently convened the Joint/NEDLAC Working Group, which brings together business, labour, community and government to collaborate on inclusive economic growth. Ramaphosa will lead the group.Source: The Presidency
Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh said on Tuesday that he was ready for talks with the United Naga Council (UNC) to end the three-month-long economic blockade which has crippled normal life. He also accused the BJP of having a “tacit understanding with the UNC” and said the saffron party’s “gameplan” will fail in the March elections. The land-locked State is witnessing an indefinite economic blockade by UNC since November 1, 2016 against the State government’s decision to create seven new districts by splitting the existing ones and upgradation of Sadar Hills to a full-fledged district. Asked why the matter was not discussed with the UNC before creating new districts, Singh said, “We tried to discuss, but they were not listening. We had to sit together but they did not respond when we invited them (for talks)”.
Harbhajan Singh lambasted the International Cricket Council (ICC) for their decision after the world’s cricket body went easy on Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft over the ball-tampering confessions.The duo escaped with trivial punishments after Australia’s act of shame on Saturday evening during the third Test versus South Africa at Newlands in Cape Town.While Smith was handed a ban of one Test match and fined 100 per cent of his match fee, Bancroft escaped with deduction of 75 per cent of his match fee and three demerit points.(Steve Smith, David Warner step down as Australia’s captain and vice-captain)Speaking about ICC’s decision on the whole fiasco, Harbhajan Singh said that he is surprised by this decision and amazed at how ICC treat Australians differently from others.”It is shocking. When I went for my hearing (Monkeygate incident involving Andrew Symonds) and they without any evidence, video or recording, banned me for three Test matches and here you have all the evidence and you get one Test-match ban. And the guy who is doing, is getting away with 75 per cent of his match fee. They could have taken much harsh calls,” Harbhajan said.(IPL chairman and Rajasthan Royals react after Steve Smith’s ball-tampering confession)”This is ridiculous. In my case I was banned for three straight games. That shows that Australia they have their own match referees, their own umpires and maybe ruling in ICC. I really don’t know what kind of fair play is this from the ICC. They didn’t even find me guilty and banned me but here they have got the footage and everything but not banned him (Bancroft). But banned Smith for a game and fined his match fee.(Cricket Australia CEO on ball-tampering controversy: Very sad day for Australian cricket)advertisementBut that goes to show that different people, different rule. It’s shocking to me and ICC should have taken stronger steps to show the game is above anything. This is not done, they got away with nothing,” he added.wow @ICC wow. Great treatment nd FairPlay. No ban for Bancroft with all the evidences whereas 6 of us were banned for excessive appealing in South Africa 2001 without any evidence and Remember Sydney 2008? Not found guilty and banned for 3 matches.different people different rulesHarbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) March 25, 2018On Saturday, footage appeared on television, showing Bancroft rubbing the ball with a small object before concealing it in his underwear.In one of the clips, Bancroft was caught putting his hand in his pocket before working on the ball with an object, which was later revealed to be a sticky tape. He later put the object back in his pocket. The next clipping showed the opener transferring the object from his pocket to his underpants.(Australia ball-tampering scandal: How Steve Smith & Co. planned the coup)Before the footage was played, umpires Nigel Llong and Richard Illingworth were seen conferring in the middle, they also had a word with the opener.But after the day’s play, when the whole saga had unfolded and the Australians were bashed for the unethical deed, Smith and Bancroft openly admitted their sin and the captain went onto add that it was pre-planned move from the Baggy Green’s ‘leadership group’. Smith’s bold confession led to a huge debate and he and David Warner stepped down as the captain for the remainder of the Test match after tremendous pressure from Australian media, their Prime Minister and others.This is not the first time Smith and his men have come under the radar in Test cricket. Last year, during the second Test in Bengaluru, Smith and Peter Handscomb were involved in an incident, which showed the Aussie skipper looking towards the dressing room for instructions regarding a DRS review. Virat Kohli came out and criticised him and said that it has been happening for three days. Smith later termed the incident as a ‘brain fade’ and denied Kohli’s accusations and said they play the game fairly. However, Harbhajan doesn’t opine the same.(Michael Clarke not ruling out return as Australia captain after ball-tampering scandal)”They feel the know the game better than anyone and feel they can get away with everything. This is probably not the first time they are doing this. This is a very stupid move and coming from the Australian dressing room, this is not a surprise,” said the spinner.”They have been doing a lot of things which they got away with but this time they have got caught in the camera,” he added.ALSO WATCH:advertisement