Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, December 28, 2017 – Montego Bay – Residents of Montego Bay, St. James, whose houses and other belongings were destroyed by the flood that swept through sections of the city on November 22, have received assistance from the Government.Minister of Labour and Social Security, Hon. Shahine Robinson, presented cheques to the first set of 80 recipients on December 22, at the temporary Montego Bay regional offices of the Ministry on Cottage Road.“Over 150 persons were affected. We had to send back some of them to get their Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN) as they were incorrect, or we never got a TRN for them,” Mrs. Robinson explained. “We know that the money can’t buy back everything that you lost, but we are making an effort,” she told the gathering.The flooding resulted from excessively heavy rains, estimated at 3.5 inches, which lashed the city for about four hours. Several roadways were blocked for hours and extensive damage was done to private and public properties. Many residents living on William Street, King Street, Norwood, Dome Street and other areas were impacted.During a tour of the affected sections of the city on November 23, Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, promised that in addition to a $20-million emergency allocation from the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development, he would convene a meeting with the Ministry of Labour and Social Security to come up with further support in order to ensure that persons, particularly homeowners, were given assistance.In an interview with JIS News following the presentation, Mrs. Robinson said representatives of the Ministry are continuing their fieldwork to collect the relevant TRNs, so that the remaining 70 persons will get assistance.“The Ministry of Labour and Social Security stands ready to do its part in times of emergencies like this,” she said.Release: JIS Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard has revealed Edinson Cavani took him under his wing during the pair’s time together at Paris Saint-Germain.Edouard has been in impressive form so far this campaign with scoring 12 goals in 26 appearances for Celtic across all competitions and he’s keen to play at the highest level.“When I was at PSG, he gave me advice every day. Whether it was about my positional sense, my finishing, even my speed, he spoke to me a lot.” Edouard said, according to Evening Times.“This gave me a massive amount of belief in myself that a great striker like him took time out to speak to me.”“He basically was responsible for me being a striker and he gave me confidence.“I was also there with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but he was different. I was a kid and that was it. He didn’t speak the same language as me so it was not easy to communicate.”Neymar can win the Ballon d’Or, says Ander Herrera Andrew Smyth – September 13, 2019 An “excited” Ander Herrera believes new Paris Saint-Germain team-mate Neymar is a contender for the Ballon d’Or alongside Kylian Mbappe.“Occasionally, he gave me a few instructions through signs, but there wasn’t a lot of exchanges between us.”Meanwhile, Celtic midfielder Ryan Christie insists the team will take the title challenge of Kilmarnock serious when the pair meet this weekend.“We’ll treat Kilmarnock with respect because they are where they are on merit – this isn’t a fluke,” said Christie.“They’ve played some good football and they’re always such a hard team to come up against, which I’m sure will be the case again this weekend.”“But the incentive is clear enough for us – win and we’ll be in first place and that’s where we want to be. A lot has been said about the number of games we’re being asked to play at the moment but we just need to win as many of them as possible and, hopefully, by the time we get to the winter break, we’ll be top of the league.”
Alcohol dependence causes morbidity as well as mortality and is
Kolkata: A 36-year-old man who was injured in an explosion at Nagerbazar area succumbed to his wounds at a state-run hospital here, an official of the medical establishment said Monday. With this, the death toll in the explosion has risen to three. The man identified as Sharat Sethi, a washerman, was sitting at a nearby tea stall when the low-intensity blast took place on October 2 morning. Sethi died at the RG Kar Hospital here Sunday night, the official said. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life Another victim of the blast, Ajit Halder, had passed away at the hospital on Saturday night. West Bengal CID, which is investigating the blast, said the death of fruitseller Ajit Halder on Saturday night would slow up their probe. “He (Halder) was giving us important information on what had happened on that day,” a senior officer of the CID said. A seven-year-old boy was killed and nine people, including his mother, were injured in the low-intensity explosion in front of a fruit stall in the northern suburb of the metropolis. The boy’s mother is undergoing treatment at the SSKM hospital, an official of the state-run facility said.
Kolkata: The Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) is slapping a notice on Kolkata Metro Rail for putting up advertisements on several pillars, particularly in Rajarhat-New Town area. The state government has been developing vertical gardens on the Metro pillars in an effort to increase greenery in the city.”We have waived Rs 257 crore as fees against the land that we had developed and later handed it over for construction of pillars for the Metro project. The Union Railway minister had written to the state government seeking a waiver. The matter was taken up at the state Cabinet and then we decided not to take charges, considering the fact that the project will benefit the people of the state. But now, they are using the pillars for commercial purposes and have put up advertisements on some of them,” state Urban Development minister Firhad Hakim, who is also the chairman of KMDA, said. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataThe Chief Executive Officer (CEO), KMDA, had written a letter to the Metro authority on February 15 but later when they were called in for a meeting in this connection, they did not turn up. “KMDA CEO has slapped a notice that the advertisements should be pulled down. I have personally requested the General Manager of Metro Railways that in an effort to curb pollution, we will be using these pillars for the purpose of developing vertical gardens,” Hakim said. A large number of vehicles ply daily along the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass and use Biswa Bangla Sarani to commute to the airport resulting in severe pollution. “Hence, increasing the green cover through vertical gardens will reduce the impact of pollution,” a senior KMDA official maintained.
Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global July 24, 2017 4 min read Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. At the dawn of the Internet, could anyone have expected trolling and cyberbullying — and that a future POTUS would engage with the nation 140 characters at the time? It can be difficult to anticipate the downsides of revolutionary new technologies.Among the potential drawbacks of autonomous vehicles — including massive job losses among commercial drivers and possibly even more traffic from robo-taxis — is what’s known as the “trolley problem.” This refers to ethical decisions a self-driving car will have to make when confronted with no-win situations, such as whether to run over an individual who darts into its path on a narrow crowded city street or swerve to either side and plow into pedestrians on the sidewalk.Even though California Polytechnic State University philosophy professor Patrick Lin has been conducting real-world tests on this dilemma in conjunction with the Center for Automotive Research at Stanford, he acknowledges that “something feels dishonest about the moral panic over self-driving cars” and the trolley problem since the scenario is so far-fetched. But as Lin points out, unlike other technologies, the testing of autonomous vehicle on public road could have an immediate negative impact on society.It gets complicatedLin contends that while technology developers typically beta-test new products and features with few restrictions and laws, “it gets complicated when their software interacts directly with the larger physical world” — in this case when controlling a multi-ton machine in public. Lin contends that in the case of autonomous vehicle testing on public roads, “the products don’t just directly affect users alone, as is the case with most other gadgets and services.”As an example, Lin points to the crowd-sourced navigation app Waze. It’s “giving rise to complaints about ‘flocking’ behavior: swarms of cars sent by its algorithms through quiet neighborhoods not designed for heavy traffic,” he says.This “could increase risk to children playing on these streets, lower property values if road noise is louder and create other externalities. This means navigation apps are making risk-decisions that users might be unaware of but arguably should be.”Self-driving cars similarly “will need to autonomously select their routes … and there’s often not just one correct way to go,” Lin adds. But he believes that the larger problem is determining who will be held accountable for the negative impact on traffic or public safety that navigation apps such as Waze cause — and by extension self-driving cars testing on public roads.”It’s a tragedy of the commons: No one is in the driver seat on how navigation algorithms should be harmonized with society,” he says. “So if there is a negative impact on traffic or public safety, it’s hard to pin down responsibility for these effects.”The question of who will be responsible in a self-driving car crash — the automaker, software developer, sensor or map maker — is one of the issues holding back the technology’s widespread adoption, although solutions are being developed. Given that self-driving car tests are already being conducted on public roads, Lin believes what he calls “human-subject research” should perhaps obtain prior clearance by an ethics board.Cities have begun responding by designating roads as “no thru traffic” zones accessible only to residents and requiring Waze to designate them as off-limits to passing motorists. Some angry and enterprising residents are even going rogue and hacking nav apps like Waze with phantom wrecks, to divert traffic away from their neighborhoods.Lin stresses that his purpose isn’t to create “an argument against technology, but only to seriously reflect on its growing power and implications, as test-cases move through the courts of law and public opinion” — and as more self-driving cars take to public roads. This story originally appeared on PCMag Register Now »